Retirement of Capacity

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Jan 16 09:18:38 GMT 2023

On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 7:02 AM Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> El diumenge, 15 de gener de 2023, a les 7:36:03 (CET), Ben Cooksley va
> escriure:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Since time immemorial, KDE has had a custom PHP framework known as
> Capacity
> > which we've used to build a good number of our websites.
> >
> > With the rise of Static Site Generators such as Jekyll and Hugo though,
> > we've been phasing this out and given that Hugo especially is now well
> > established as the go-to-tooling for building KDE websites
>
> > it is time we retire Capacity.
>
> Why? The code is there and it works. It seems we're giving ourselves lots
> of
> work for what is really just a "few" lines of PHP.

It's a bit more than that.

On the server side, Capacity requires a very unique configuration that is
often incompatible with other systems due to it requiring certain PHP
settings be set (include path being particularly important) and needing
directories aliased in.
This often breaks other software, necessitating the use of a separate PHP
FPM worker pool for Capacity, and specific configuration within that
website Apache configuration. Given the shrinking list of sites using it,
we're now reaching the point where it makes more sense to eliminate our use
of it rather than continue to support it and the additional costs
associated with it.

Secondly, switching to Hugo allows us to utilise a common Aether theme and
therefore share a common visual design language across our sites, creating
consistency which is always a benefit.

> Cheers,
>   Albert

Thanks,