Sphinx Application Documentation - Image duplication

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sun Jan 15 06:45:58 GMT 2023

Hi all,

For some time now it has been known to me that the system for generating
application documentation websites using Sphinx with l10n support has had
issues with duplicating data - particularly images.

That leads to the following outcome, where aside from sites that we expect
to be quite large (like www.kde.org and api.kde.org) all of the application
documentation sites are quite big as well:

root at nicoda /srv/www # du -h --max-depth=1 ./generated/ | grep G
2.3G    ./generated/cutehmi.kde.org
3.7G    ./generated/docs.digikam.org
2.4G    ./generated/api.kde.org
2.3G    ./generated/docs.krita.org
1.4G    ./generated/www.kde.org
7.9G    ./generated/docs.kdenlive.org
29G     ./generated/

This stands in comparison to the Docbook documentation site for all other
KDE applications:

root at nicoda /srv/www # du -h --max-depth=1 . | grep G
29G     ./generated
16G     ./api.kde.org-legacy
6.0G    ./docs.kde.org
51G     .

It would be nice if we could please look into some fixes for this, as it
looks like Sphinx is duplicating the images - once for every language -
when that isn't necessary.
I could understand if the screenshots were updated as part of the
translation, but it looks like they're not in the majority of cases - below
being just a sample:

root at nicoda /srv/www/generated/docs.krita.org # sha256sum
zh_CN/_images/Krita_cpb_mixing.gif
12eb4cbad29a5a6486d3438dabb888a0aa0b9579e55b3be2f3c1d6e1d76fc1d7
 zh_CN/_images/Krita_cpb_mixing.gif
root at nicoda /srv/www/generated/docs.krita.org # sha256sum
en/_images/Krita_cpb_mixing.gif
12eb4cbad29a5a6486d3438dabb888a0aa0b9579e55b3be2f3c1d6e1d76fc1d7
 en/_images/Krita_cpb_mixing.gif

While this isn't a massive issue right now, it is a future scalability
issue as for Krita at least each language costs 178MB or so, while for
Digikam that sits at 415MB per language and Kdenlive is 392MB.

Many thanks,
Ben