Homepage for KGeoTag

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sat Aug 28 07:04:07 BST 2021

On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 9:14 AM Tobias Leupold <tl at l3u.de> wrote:

> Hi Ben!

Hi Tobias,

> > As a general rule the KDE e.V. is trying to avoid picking up additional
> > domains, as each one comes with a certain degree of administrative
> overhead
> > (processing renewals, managing the DNS zone, etc)
>
> No problem, I just wanted to know if this was possible generally speaking
> (as
> KPhotoAlbum's homepage that I feed with release announcements has been
> moved
> to the new Jekyll/Git infrastructure some time ago).

It is certainly possible for us to pick up additional domains, we just
prefer to use KDE.org subdomains where that is practical.

> > Before we go too much further down the path of setting up a website here,
> > have you looked into what you can do with https://apps.kde.org/kgeotag/
> -
> > which is populated from your Appstream metadata?
>
> Yeah, I saw that. I also feeded the appdata.xml with the IRC channel and
> mailing list. But there's no way to display e. g. a release announcement
> or
> some news post there.

Ah I see, yes that is quite the different usecase and isn't something that
apps.kde.org supports yet.

For that usecase we could certainly look into a Jekyll/Hugo based site - as
a subdomain of KDE.org - if you'd like.

> Well, maybe if the project matures, getting an .org domain for it (like
> the
> KPA one) would be the way to go. For now, I'll simply keep posting stuff
> about
> KGeoTag on my personal homepage then. Google finds it there as well ;-)
>
> Thanks for the info!
>
> Cheers, Tobias

Cheers,
Ben