unable to make donation to neon using 3rd party sites port 443-error

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Nov 5 07:38:50 GMT 2020

On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 6:28 PM David Lee <berry.whitetiger at gmail.com> wrote:

> KDE-NEON Desktop Environment e.V.
> Account-Nr. 0 66 64 46
> BLZ 200 700 24
> Deutsche Bank Privat und Geschäftskunden
> Hamburg, Germany
>

> Sir or Madam:

Hi David,

> I just let you know that I had issues when trying to make my year end
> donations to kde- Neon cause from this kde launch page.
> <https://kde.org/contact/> I have been a NEON user since 2018 and have
> enjoyed the product releases.  I've been moving away from linux-mint
> because their roling firmware updates ware releases have damaged my
> systems.
>
> I received error 443 when I tried to get the user-copy from
> distrowatch.com as shown in the attached screensnap. I was running
> firefox without any firewall and my privacy badger disabled. I assume this
> is a problem with distro watch accessing their apache server or being
> misdirected to an old server. You might want to discuss with them. Since
> this isnt' a bug against a release I've not open any bug report. I did a
> successful torrent of release 5.2. so I'm pretty sure I am updated. I'll
> check back with the blogs f
> <https://blog.neon.kde.org/index.php/2020/07/22/going-focal/>or changes.

Many thanks for getting in touch with us regarding the above problems
you've been having.

With regards to downloading Neon from Distrowatch.com, we've identified the
cause of that problem on our side and will be working on putting into place
a fix for this.

In the interim, you can always browse to
https://files.kde.org/neon/images/user/ and follow the prompts from there
to download the latest Neon user edition ISO.

> In addition, I was blocked by paypal as being "out of Country" so I was
> unable to send you any money paypal. Please advise if you can fix this with
> paypal's policy before the end of year as this contribution is used as a
> tax deduction.

I've copied in the KDE e.V. Board who maintain the Paypal accounts and may
be able to provide more insight into this issue.
If you could confirm your country to assist them with their investigation
that would be much appreciated.

(I'd recommend dropping kde-www from further replies on that, as that list
is publicly archived)

> I'd also welcome hearing from you about QA opportunities you might have
> with KDE-neon?

I'd suggest getting in touch with the Neon development mailing list at
neon at kde.org regarding this.

Many thanks,
Ben Cooksley
KDE Sysadmin