Future of the dot

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Apr 7 11:34:49 BST 2020

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 12:37 AM Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:

> I don't mind losing the old comments although another alternative
> might be to move the current Dot setup to old.dot.kde.org and add
> links from the imported stories to the old site.  This is something
> like what LWN did when they moved to a new system.

I guess the question we should ask is whether we need comments on the
stories, given we currently have restricted the ability for people to
comment anyway?

> I like the idea of using Discourse for comments, but of course that
> means getting it up and running, it's at https://discuss.kde.org.uk/
> but waiting for sysadmins to give the go ahead which I think may also
> be blocked on the new identity.kde.org.

That is one of the things blocking it yes - principal effort for us at
the moment is focused on delivering Gitlab and everything associated
with that.
(All of the technical things on our side for repository hosting and
code review have been resolved now, which is why we've moved on to the
repository cleanup now in preparation for outlining a structure to
import them all into)

> Jonathan

Cheers,
Ben