applications backend data

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Mar 12 23:05:09 UTC 2018

El divendres, 9 de març de 2018, a les 14:08:44 CET, Harald Sitter va
escriure:
> quick fyi: I am working on a change for the backend data of applications
>
> https://websvn.kde.org/trunk/www/sites/www/applications/
>
> new tech is meant to automatically crawl appstream appdata out of CI
> builds. eventually, I'd like that to be an api service you can talk to
> for app metadata (for now it's still on-disk blobs though).
>
> the data is mostly similar to the json blobs we have right now, albeit
> different keys (also the blobs contain localization data)
>
> the overall format is outlined here (except we dump json instead of yaml):
> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/sect-AppStream-YAML.html
>
> please also keep this in mind for the new website. so long as the
> frontend bits are sufficiently abstract from the backing data we
> should be fine though.
>
> I hope to get this done today so it's easier to know what I am talking
> about.

Can we please next time get some heads up before you commit things on kde.org?

It's the second time in a row you commit things to kde.org and break it and it
lowers my morale a lot.

The idea of autogenerating files is good, it's how the original json files
where generated, sadly your commit has caused regressions.

There's dozens of broken links now, like for example, second link (for me) at
https://www.google.es/search?q=rsibreak

As maintainer of rsibreak i find it to be an unacceptable regression.

Also two months ago we agreed on this very list to still show unmaintained
applications (with an unmaintained marker) for the same very reason of not
breaking links.

So what we need is a applications/ subfolder that at least contains the same
data it contained before your change, if it contains less data for any
application, that is a regression and even if it does show better data for
other apps I do not feel it's an acceptable loss, even more without having had
any discussion about it with the people that kept that data up to date.

Best Regards,
  Albert