applications backend data

Nate Graham pointedstick at zoho.com
Fri Mar 9 18:59:06 UTC 2018

---- On Fri, 09 Mar 2018 10:55:03 -0800 Aleix Pol<aleixpol at kde.org> wrote ----
 > On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 7:44 PM, Nate Graham <nate at kde.org> wrote:
 > >

 > > ---- On Fri, 09 Mar 2018 10:41:38 -0800 Aleix Pol<aleixpol at kde.org> wrote ----
 > >  > On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 7:18 PM, Nate Graham <nate at kde.org> wrote:
 > >  > > ...I mean of course to replace the existing tiny hidden text that says "Install via AppStream", which is meaningless to normal people. That whole line could go away and the "Get <app name>" header could host the link, and be styled to look like a button.
 > >  > >
 > >  > > Nate
 > >  > >
 > >  > >
 > >  > > ---- On Fri, 09 Mar 2018 09:57:18 -0800 pointedstick<pointedstick at zoho.com> wrote ----
 > >  > >  > This is fantastic stuff, Harald! I'd love to see each app's page have a big friendly button labeled "Install <app name>" with a link to a valid appstream:// url that would open Discover with that app when clicked.
 > >  > >  >
 > >  > >  > Nate
 > >  >
 > >  > Agreed. This was the plan when we came up with appstream://, we also
 > >  > have some buttons that supposedly would serve this purpose:
 > >  > https://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/sect-AppStream-Services-UrlHandler.html
 > >
 > > I'm not real thrilled about the "AppStream" branding there. AppStream is a nerdy backend technology that our users shouldn't have to come into contact with. The key words they're looking for are "Download" or "Install", preferably in obvious button form.
 > >
 > > Nate
 > >

 > Patches welcome.

Not sure a patch makes sense since any visual button I could come up with would have unlocalizable English text. For https://www.kde.org/applications/, I'm suggesting that we just style the already-localized "download me!" text to look like a button, and make it more prominent. I think all that stuff is still running on SVN and not exposed to Phabricator, right?

Nate