applications backend data

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Fri Mar 9 13:08:44 UTC 2018

quick fyi: I am working on a change for the backend data of applications

https://websvn.kde.org/trunk/www/sites/www/applications/

new tech is meant to automatically crawl appstream appdata out of CI
builds. eventually, I'd like that to be an api service you can talk to
for app metadata (for now it's still on-disk blobs though).

the data is mostly similar to the json blobs we have right now, albeit
different keys (also the blobs contain localization data)

the overall format is outlined here (except we dump json instead of yaml):
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/sect-AppStream-YAML.html

please also keep this in mind for the new website. so long as the
frontend bits are sufficiently abstract from the backing data we
should be fine though.

I hope to get this done today so it's easier to know what I am talking about.

HS