Work on the new kde.org website

Ken Vermette vermette at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 13:13:58 UTC 2016

I'll be sharing my initial work on the theme this around the weekend/Monday
morning. Saturday I intend to slip into a coma.

On the announcements format changing, that was something we discussed. I do
believe going forward we will be announcements through the Drupal
interface; it's quite nice, and we can customise it according to the needs
of announcements and do various interesting things. We can also take any
ideas on things we want to standardize, such as the change list, as we can
include that in announcement post type.

The only downside is the old announcements. We'll need to put them in some
kind of archive, which is less than optimal, and won't be searchable.

For translations I'm not 100% sure how that will be done. Drupal already
has translation features that seem very good, but it doesn't look good for
the SVN based workflow. There was discussion around it, and translators
will probably need to adjust our apply their expertise to non-Drupal pages
which are still in need of work.

We would likely lose a few translators, but at the same time we open up the
ability for more people to provide translations as the Drupal method is
much easier to learn than SVN, and I'm sure there are probably more
translators out there willing to use the web-based interface.

On an aside, there's lots of accessibility and internationalisation stuff
from my cursory investigation, which is very, very good.