Long Term / KDE.org Design Update

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Jul 30 08:54:34 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Ken Vermette <vermette at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 5:59 AM, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 5:59 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
>> > El Divendres, 17 de juliol de 2015, a les 13:34:39, Ken Vermette va
>> > escriure:

>> > Automation is nice, but luckily you can't automate writing text neither
>> > translating, once that happens Skynet will kill us all :D

>> > Why does it kill community participation? Also we can't really give edit
>> > access to the CMS to everyone, so how would it increase participation if
>> > you
>> > still have a reduced set of people that can actually use the CMS?
>>
>> To re-word what Ken was trying to say: those who are interested in
>> providing changes to the text are probably the same which would be
>> scared off by PHP code, or who have problems dealing with
>> Subversion/Git.
>

> Thank you Ben. You have now earned the status of "Kenterpreter". :P

:)

> But yes, what he says is spot on; you have to have some specific technical
> chops to contribute translations. There's probably a lot of people very
> fluent in their languages out there unable to contribute due to not knowing
> subversion; it's an incredibly specific subset of skills we're currently
> demanding.

In terms of needing to know Subversion - translators don't really,
they communicate through a translation team lead who handles all that
I believe, so that won't be a problem.
I was more aiming at the provision of initial content needing
knowledge of Subversion - which means a KDE Developer account also,
and is hence a hurdle people need to get over.

> [...]
> handles PO files) this could potentially lead to more consistent
> translations. Instead of a translation being tied to a specific page,
> translations may be tied to lumps of information; as that information will
> be used across multiple pages, it means the same translations will be
> consistently applied throughout the system.

>> > It is not log into a CMS that's the problem, it's that it doesn't seem
>> > to add
>> > any value, just seems to get in the way.

>> > They are scripted to some degree, yes.

>> > Someone still needs to write that nice html/js/css that is going to get
>> > beatiful results, right? How is having a CMS going to help here?

>> > What's the benefit above interacting with a form over interacting with
>> > the
>> > .json in svn? Also the same problem above with edit access to the CMS
>> > seems to
>> > apply. With svn they can at least send a diff, how does the CMS cope
>> > with
>> > that?
>>
>> The existing apps/ json format files are extremely limited - something
>> more capable is probably needed in reality. A CMS would not provide
>> any capability to send diffs other than a manually constructed one...
>

> Ben again nails it; it's not so much about how you interact with it, as much
> as it is about how the data gets stored in the end. Files are just
> inflexible compared to formal databases.
>
> On diffing, some CMSs actually do have decent diff operations built-in, but
> probably not as you envision. I know Wordpress has it, and Drupal *might*
> have it; any CMS which seriously tracks versions will have it. The main
> thing you should expect would be different workflows; in a CMS the submitter
> never sees or works with diffs, but the administrator can view a diff before
> accepting changes. CMSs with diffing will also keep a modest history so
> changes can be undone as well.

>> > I still don't see what we need the CMS for, sorry.
>> >
>> > But then:
>> >  a) I'm not a web expert, so whatever i think has not much value
>> >  b) I'm and old fart, sometimes I don't like change that much
>> >  c) The state of www contributors can't be much worse, so it's probably
>> > worth
>> > trying :)
>> >
>> > Please go and prove me wrong :)
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >   Albert
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ben
>

> I've developed some very dynamic websites but I also haven't administrated
> any particularly large websites; I don't want to set out to prove you wrong,
> because it seems like we have different kinds of experience and discounting
> your knowledge would be moronic. KDE.org is massive. Also, if I make stupid
> decisions without being called out, I'm not going to be the one holding the
> bag. Even if I hate every second of it I'd rather you call out every

Regards,
Ben