Sprint: Reorganize the wikis

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Sun Dec 6 01:12:21 UTC 2015

Hey Olivier

I'm so happy to see someone bring this up.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 12:10 AM, Olivier Churlaud <olivier at churlaud.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm coming here with this observation: the wiki are quite a mess. And very
> often KDE4 and KF5 things are mixed.
> That everyone do it at their scale is impossible. That's why I have a
> proposition. (I've thought about it for a while)
>
> It would be easier to do this like in a sprint, in team.
>
> 1) Define what structure the wiki should have: What is techbase? What is
> Community? Are the manuals in Userbase or on doc? and so on
> 2) then take each page and order => Archive KDE4 | Mess | KF5 | To remove
> 3) Do a list of what is missing and what should be tidied.
> 4) Write to the corresponding teams so that they take care of it.
> 5) Remove what should be

Perhaps also -

6) Are wikis the ideal way to present documentation? The have pros and
cons, and perhaps we can be more flexible on different approaches and
see what works out. We seem to have documentation in git repos [1],
wikis, and even a book or two.

[1] https://github.com/KDE/baloo/blob/master/docs/user/searching.md

> What I mean in 2) is: for example there are N pages about how to configure
> Git. We take the good one, put the other in a namespace "To remove"
>
> What I mean in 4) is: for example in https://community.kde.org/Sonnet, it's
> very old, and not much documented (sorry if some of you are reading this, I
> pick it randomly), so we can put a mail on the ML and tell them 'well we saw
> that...'
>
> Basically this is my vision of what could be done.
>
> Since I don't always know what is old what is still usable and so on, people
> with this knowledge would be required.
>
> I think we should plan it very carefully, to have a battle plan, and then
> go.
>
> What do you think?
> Would people be interested to give a hand?
> How and when do we begin?

I would definitely be interested.

However, I doubt I have the time to take time off work and travel for
this, so remotely, rather than physically.

--
Vishesh Handa