[kde-promo] Publish date with announcements?

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 13:26:54 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:36:57 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
> > Hey Martin,
> >
> > On Monday, February 25, 2013 19:00:40 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> > > I was just looking for some info about KDE4 alpha 1 and the first
> search
> > > result was the announcement from kde.org, which is great. However that
> > > whole article has no date on it, so one has no idea when is that
> > > announcement from. Then I found out that all the announcements have no
> > > date, even article publishing. Given the announcements being archived,
> > > think it would make sense to add publish date to the web template.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > http://kde.org/announcements/announce-4.0-alpha1.php
> >
> > Look for "May 11, 2007", it's there on all announcement pages (that I've
> > checked), right at the start of the announcement. That's consistent with
> how
> > press releases are done.
> >
> > Ok, I got confused. What Google returns as a first result for 4.0 alpha1
> is
> > this: http://www.kde.org/announcements/visualguide-4.0-alpha1.php -
> which
> > is the visual guide, that has no link to the original announcement,
> albeit
> > it does say the 4.0 will be out in October 2007. However - latest
> > announcement - http://kde.org/announcements/4.10/ - has no date at all,
> > same for 4.9 - http://kde.org/announcements/4.9/
> >
> > So when someone will be searching for those announcements, there's no
> > indication of "when" this was released. And given it will be returned
> quite
> > high in search results, I still think it would be good to have the date
> > there somewhere.
>
> Is that really so much of an issue? I mean, you specifically searched for
> an
> old version, it's not like the information is misleading, or that people
> will
> be confused easily. It sounds a bit like overthinking it, to me.

I don't think it's really that big issue; also it's not about confusion,
but about incomplete information. Of course people can get the date
anywhere else (like wiki), but why should they? Especially if they are
brought directly to the announcement from a search engine. It's an
important piece of information that imho should accompany the announcement.

Checking couple other companies' press releases (Google, Nokia...), all of
them adds published date. And I don't really see any reason not to, that's
why I brought it up :)

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer