[kde-promo] artwork

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 12:46:45 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 21 August 2013 10:23:45 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On 20/08/2013 23:25, Eike Hein wrote:
> > To sum it up, what our mascot is and how to use our mascot are
> > related but separate problems. If we have a cute mascot, we should
> > use it in places where cute mascots are appropriate. Most people,
> > whatever serious business may fill their days, are OK with cute _in
> > the right context_.
> >
> > This does loop back into the mascot design process in the sense
> > that you could start it with a set of requirements of where you
> > want a mascot to be usable - but it'd probably be silly to put
> > Konqui in a suit so we can put it on every screenshot; the entire
> > concept of having a mascot is a bit light-hearted in the first
> > place.
>
> I feel as strongly as Myriam does, that cute is not applicable to more
> serious applications, so I wonder whether we are taking the wrong road
> here.
>
> Is it not possible to create a "family" of konqi mascots?  The new one
> could be Young Konqi.  We could have a Konqi specifically designed for
> use in more business situations.  What about gaming Konqi, or sporting
> Konqi?
>
> It should be perfectly possible for all the images to be recognisable
> as the same creature in different circumstances.
>
> Anne

Three things:
* I don't feel the new mascot is that much less useful in 'serious' situations
than the old one. We did not use the old one in every situation and we can
simply continue to do that. No change needed.
* There is more to artwork than the mascot. See for example this image:
http://dot.kde.org/sites/dot.kde.org/files/KDE%20QT.jpg
(which I made)
It is useful artwork which doesn't say anything good or bad (unless you have a
problem with pink or purple :D)
* last but not least, I'd like to treat our people as adults. If a promo
person writing an article ask our artists for an image for it, I expect 1. the
artist to come up with something suitable and 2. the writer to be able to say
whether that is indeed the case or not.

All in all, what I'm saying is:
Yeah, our (new) mascot is not suitable for every article. Neither was the old
one. We're smart enough to deal with that.

Can we move on from the mascot discussion and let our artists figure out what
to do with artwork without others yelling at them at every step? I don't think
this is healthy or nice.

Note that I didn't actually get ANY art proposals or anything else out of this
thread. And I'd much rather have to choose from two bad things than nothing at
all.