Cannot load static pages in eLinks and other Text Browsers

ccalby at mailbag.com ccalby at mailbag.com
Sat Dec 29 09:25:04 UTC 2012

Sure, here's what I have, please let me know if you need anything else.

As explained in the eLinks User Manual:

2.9. What User-Agent header does ELinks send?
The older ELinks versions (up to 0.4.3) send:
  ELinks ($version; $osinfo; $textmode_dimensions)

The new ELinks versions (from 0.9.0 on) send:
  ELinks/$version (textmode; $osinfo; $textmode_dimensions)

You should therefore check against something like /^ELinks[\/ ]/,
since more fields can be added inside the parenthesis in
subsequent versions. Note that users can change their User-Agent
through the options system.

As shown in my eLinks options setup:

  Name: user_agent
  Type: String
  Value: "ELinks/%v (textmode; %s; %t-%b)"

  Change the User Agent ID. That means identification string, which
  is sent to HTTP server when a document is requested. The 'textmode'
  token in the first field is our silent attempt to establish this as
  a standard for new textmode user agents, so that the webmasters can
  have just a single uniform test for these if they are e.g. pushing
  some lite version to them automagically.
  Use " " if you don't want any User-Agent header to be sent at all.
  %v in the string means ELinks version,
  %s in the string means system identification,
  %t in the string means size of the terminal,
  %b in the string means number of bars displayed by ELinks.

In case you are wondering, I am using:
ELinks 0.11.7.GIT (0.11.7-6-g2e174e5-dirty)
Built on Dec 27 2012 09:41:30

with:
iTerm2, Build 1.0.0.20120203

over:
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard), Build 9L31a

on a:
Power Mac Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 with 3GB DDR SDRAM

On Thu, December 27, 2012 6:15 pm, Ben Cooksley wrote:
On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 5:35 AM,  <ccalby at mailbag.com> wrote:
> Re: http://community.kde.org/Mac

Hi Chris,

> For some reason a few of your pages will not load due to JavaScript
> that is apparently acting as a gatekeeper, but for what reason I
> cannot fathom.  Please consider at least including some kind of
> human
> readable comments on these pages suggesting best usage for
> developers
> who want to load in Text Browsers / Emacs, as well as, for those
> using
> screen readers.

This "gate keeper" is likely Incapsula, which is performing a
"Javascript security check".
Could you please provide the User Agent which is being sent by the
browsers you are using? If you can, I can whitelist them with
Incapsula which should allow you to access the site content.

> Thanks much,
> Chris Alby

Thanks,
Ben Cooksley