kde forum data

Stuart Jarvis jarvis at kde.org
Fri Aug 24 14:11:56 UTC 2012

On Friday 24 Aug 2012 22:41:05 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 2:51 AM, Stuart Jarvis <jarvis at kde.org> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
>
> Hi Stuart,
>
> > I guess kde-ww is the right list to ask this. Please see the query below
> > from one of our partners in the ALERT project*
> >
> > Any ideas why the RSS would be limited to post 89447?
>
> Can't think of any particular reason off the top of my head - there is
> certainly no deliberate constraint on getting RSS feeds of older
> material.
> However I can't say it was specifically designed to return older content.

Thanks for getting back to me. It is an unusual use case. The idea is to
provide a non-invasive way for the ALERT system to collect the archives of a
project with the added benefit that the same parser can be used for live
updates.

> It is likely they are striking a limit on the number of search results
> returned (as the RSS feed is powered by our Sphinx search backend).
> Could we have some details on how they are conducting the RSS feed
> retrieval so I can debug why this is happening?

Some more details from Gregor Leban (copied in):

---
yes, it is strange.
Here is for example the feed that i have in the ascending time order for
the whole history:
https://forum.kde.org/search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=&tags=&sv=0&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=a&st=0&feed_type=RSS2.0&feed_style=HTML&countlimit=100&submit=Search

as you can see, the oldest post si from Fri, 21 May 2004 03:02:50 GMT and has
this url:
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=66734&p=89443#p89443

and the p argument in the url is the post id. Do you know when KDE started
using forums - in 2004 or sooner?
---

So in this case, the number of results is already limited to 100. Could this
be an issue with changes to forum software in the past (my memory on the forum
history is a bit hazy)

Cheers,
Stu