Create Japanese section on wiki

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu Sep 29 18:59:39 UTC 2011

On 09/29/2011 07:22 PM, Jumpei Ogawa (phanect) wrote:
> It was my miswriting. *I* won't upload documents written only in
> Japanese. But I think many Japanese people feel it difficult (and
> not so motivated) to write contents in English and they need place
> to write documents in Japanese.

One solution might be to use the sandbox area - a section of pages
linked from http://userbase.kde.org/Sandbox (which currently needs a
clean-up).  The Japanese team leader could then watch those pages and
use them to write up the corresponding English page.  It does mean
more work for the Team Leader, but it could work.  There would
probably have to be some workflow instructions written in Japanese
specifically about how to handle the initial content, and what should
be done about updates, but using Watch it should be possible.

>>> I want to create "Japanese" section in wikis and place
>>> contents there.
>> separate areas, usually managed by namespaces, result in poor
>> communication between languages.
> OK. How about adding category such as "Japanese Version Only" to
> search Japanese-specific contents?

That shouldn't be necessary.  We have category definitions at the foot
of each page.  We also for each language agree translations of those
categories, so that when a page is translated the category statement
should display the localised version of the category name.  Clicking
on that should take you to a page that lists only (Japanese in this
case) localised pages listing.  Also, we use "Special:myLanguage" on
links, which is rather clever.  If a page has already been translated
to the language that you have set as your working language, that page
is shown by default.  If no translation has yet been made to that
language the English page will display instead.  If we can get
translations moving more quickly it should become rarer for an English
page to be displayed to other-language speakers.

>>> - Information only needed for Japanese speakers (such as
>>> translation manual for Japanese)
>>>
>> We do have provision for this - when people sign up for
>> Translator accounts, it is possible to create a page for
>> language-specific translation needs.  That seems to be exactly
>> what you need there. Take a look at the lower section of
>> http://userbase.kde.org/Translation_Workflow
> Thanks. Should we include information about KDE software
> translation (not only wiki translation) in the language-specific
> guideline?

I don't see how that could do any harm.  Are you in touch with the
i18n team?  As long as the content we carry works with their needs,
that's fine.

I go on vacation on Saturday for two weeks.  I don't think I will have
Internet access most of the time, so don't worry if you don't hear
from me during that time.

Anne