Outdated application pages at kde.org/applications

Ingo Malchow imalchow at kde.org
Tue Mar 15 08:31:51 UTC 2011

2011/3/15 Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek at kde.org>:
> On 15 March 2011 08:40, Ingo Malchow <imalchow at kde.org> wrote:
>> 2011/3/14 Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek at kde.org>:
>>> Hi,
>>> (cc'd to kde-www)
>>>
>>> Just noticed [1] is outdated regarding app names and information. I
>>> plan to handle changes at least the outdated information for Kexi.
>>>
>>> But what I am not sure about is possible duplication: do we need
>>> kde.org/applications when we have userbase?
>>> It is hard to maintain two places.
>>>
>>> That's not all. There's also a clash with community.kde.org. For
>>> example Dolphin has outdated development page [2].
>>> How it would be fixed? Maybe by adding just links to appropriate
>>> userbase/community sites?
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.kde.org/applications/office/
>>> [2] http://www.kde.org/applications/system/dolphin/development
>>>
>>> --
>>> regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
>>>  http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek
>>>  Kexi & Calligra (kexi-project.org, identi.ca/kexi, calligra-suite.org)
>>>  KDE Software Development Platform on MS Windows (windows.kde.org)
>>
>> The initial idea of the app pages was to have a quick overview of all
>> relevant facts for a given application and make it easily
>> maintainable, as those pages are generated from plain json files, see
>> e.g. http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/www/sites/www/applications/apps/dolphin.json?view=markup
>> for the dolphin file.
>>
>> Even more, it was intended to automate the task of updating those
>> information. Sadly, it never got this far (yet?). Of course, open for
>> suggestions to improve this situation.
>
> So maybe what we need is either
> 1. idea how to enable sharing between userbase and kde.org, or
> 2. make the kde.org description very light/generic in terms of content
> so we rarely have to update them, i.e. no versions, no links depending
> on versions, etc.
>
> I do not see 1. as very valuable or something easy.
>
> --
> regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
>  http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek
>  Kexi & Calligra (kexi-project.org, identi.ca/kexi, calligra-suite.org)
>  KDE Software Development Platform on MS Windows (windows.kde.org)

Indeed, and 2. is already (mostly) the current way it works. Some
adjustments are of course needed, like support for git locations. We
can't reduce maintenance to zero, i guess :)

And right now i remembered some plans we had when we wrote the new app
system. We wanted to make it possible to have the corresponding json
file in the app's own repo. So app devs don't need to bother with
locations. That way the work what needs to be done is

1. app dev updates the json file with current information
2. web team takes care of setting up the location of that json file in
our website system
3. a possible cronjob reads from that repo location only that file and
makes it show on the app pages

That way the devs and webteam can take care of what is relevant to them.
How does that sound?
Would need some rewrite first, sure.