Outdated application pages at kde.org/applications

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Tue Mar 15 08:08:47 UTC 2011

On 15 March 2011 08:40, Ingo Malchow <imalchow at kde.org> wrote:
> 2011/3/14 Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek at kde.org>:
>> Hi,
>> (cc'd to kde-www)
>>
>> Just noticed [1] is outdated regarding app names and information. I
>> plan to handle changes at least the outdated information for Kexi.
>>
>> But what I am not sure about is possible duplication: do we need
>> kde.org/applications when we have userbase?
>> It is hard to maintain two places.
>>
>> That's not all. There's also a clash with community.kde.org. For
>> example Dolphin has outdated development page [2].
>> How it would be fixed? Maybe by adding just links to appropriate
>> userbase/community sites?
>>
>> [1] http://www.kde.org/applications/office/
>> [2] http://www.kde.org/applications/system/dolphin/development
>>
>> --
>> regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
>>  http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek
>>  Kexi & Calligra (kexi-project.org, identi.ca/kexi, calligra-suite.org)
>>  KDE Software Development Platform on MS Windows (windows.kde.org)
>
> The initial idea of the app pages was to have a quick overview of all
> relevant facts for a given application and make it easily
> maintainable, as those pages are generated from plain json files, see
> e.g. http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/www/sites/www/applications/apps/dolphin.json?view=markup
> for the dolphin file.
>
> Even more, it was intended to automate the task of updating those
> information. Sadly, it never got this far (yet?). Of course, open for
> suggestions to improve this situation.

So maybe what we need is either
1. idea how to enable sharing between userbase and kde.org, or
2. make the kde.org description very light/generic in terms of content
so we rarely have to update them, i.e. no versions, no links depending
on versions, etc.

I do not see 1. as very valuable or something easy.