Adding i18n to webpages

Burkhard Lück lueck at hube-lueck.de
Fri Nov 26 23:46:44 UTC 2010

Am Dienstag, 23. November 2010, um 01:07:50 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> Sorry for the cross-posting, not sure who has to make a call on my question
> so i'm mailing the web people, the translators and also the decision
> makers. Please anyone that is interested in following the discussion
> answer to kde-www only, no need to spam four lists with it.
>
> For you that do not know, our php framework has i18n capabilities as you
> can see in
>    http://okular.kde.org/?site_locale=es
> "What is?"->"¿Qué es?" and the footer is also translated.
>
> My plan is to make webpage translation as automatic as GUI translation is.
>
> That is, i want to make make scripty extract the i18n calls from the .php
> files to create .pot files and also make it create the .inc files (what the
> .php framework uses as input) from the translated .po files
>
> But this poses a security problem. At the moment KDE protects the access to
> www with ACL since it was decided our webpages are a sensitive place. If i
> add this automated tools it would be making anyone that commits to
> l10n-kde4 able to modify a web page (Since i can ask for the translation
> of "What is?" and they can translate it to some random thing).
>
> Is this something we want to do or I better spend my time elsewhere?

From a translators pov I'd like to see more stuff integrated into scripty's
tool chain like e.g. userbase, xml data from kdeedu and the webpage
translations you suggested here, but I can't judge on the security issue due
to my limited php and web skills, so please ignore my comment in this respect.

But speaking for the german translation team I'd see no security problems here
for several reasons:
1) It is way more common to get svn write access as devel than as a
translator.
2) Due to the commitment and engagement/time the german team members with svn
write access invest in german kde translation I am sure I can trust them.
3) Each member of our team with svn write acess has a commit filter for all
l10-kde4/de dirs in kde svn and of course will have a similar filter for all de
translations for web pages, if that will be integrated into scripty. Thus it
is unlikely that something bad will slip in from the german team.

--
Burkhard Lück