[kde-promo] www/sites/www-devel

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sat Feb 6 02:02:05 UTC 2010

On Friday 05 February 2010 21:30:33 Luca Beltrame wrote:
> In data venerdì 5 febbraio 2010 20:39:46, Aaron J. Seigo ha scritto:
> > ok; is there any special svn privileges needed for this, or can anyone
> > with a KDE svn account do so?
>
> You need karma for www, easily done by asking sysadmins the usual way.
> Plus, you get Toma wondering why working on the site is the best thing
> since sliced bread. ;)

Haha, I can imagine :D

> > we can have the existing-but-empty pages on www.kde.org filled in for the
> > release, that would be awesome.
>
> I'm running svn up on the www-devel tree as we speak, and I hope to start
> writing something tonight.

You can certainly take some of the content (specifically for Plasma Netbook from the
announcement (4.4/index.php) and the visual guide (4.4/plasma.php), there are also
plenty of nice screenshots. That could make your work a bit easier.

> > direction we go, i just want to know which direction it will be so i can
> > help make sure plasma.kde.org is ready on time.
>
> Well, I'm just a newbie when it comes to promo and KDE... what do the gurus
> here say?

Now we have the content structured and a functioning to maintain it, it probable
makes most sense to have at least the user-facing, more general information on
www.kde.org. I see plasma.kde.org's role more as a portal for the contributing
community. It would host more in-depth things such as pointers to various howto's on
Techbase, and so on.

We should try to keep maintainance of the content mainly in one place, that's
actually my biggest concern: How can we make it the easiest to keep thing up to date.
This has always been a problem in the past, and for plasma.kde.org specifically: It's
relatively easy to add a new site, but keeping content up to date is a real
challenge.

Probably centralizing those  bits that need updating once in a while on (future)
www.kde.org makes the most sense.

guru ;)