TODO for the app pages

Ingo Malchow ingomalchow at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 3 20:45:41 UTC 2010

Am Mittwoch, 3. Februar 2010 18:56:47 schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:
> Hi,
>
> this is the maintainer/author of utils.kde.org writing. Which BTW is up-to-
> date ;) And easily maintained. Though it shares the bus number with kde-
> apps.org, I fear.
>
> Here my 2 cents (and a link to working code, not just words):
>
> <busy contributor summary>
> Let's start to use central meta/about data files which feed all places
> describing our software, including the apps pages. Both for consistency and
> low-maintenance.
> First build system integration for KAboutData already provided.
> </busy contributor summary>
>
> Mercredi, le 3 février 2010, à 12:00, Jos Poortvliet a écrit:
> > I don't want to shoot this effort down, but you just can't count on a
> > page only accessible by SVN to stay updated. Any page which has to be
> > updated more than once a year MUST be a wiki or it won't be updated.
>
> Jos, you being a psychologist (?) I do not wonder you only think of human
> beings. Which I in fact very much appreciate :)
>
> But for some minutes also consider these automates, driven by control code.
> So, what about updating the content with them, i.e. automatically? And,
> worse, not just less than once a year, but every two hours, if needed?
>
> Because the content wanted is (almost) all there, up-to-date and often even
> with multiple translations. In the KAboutData stuffing code (which feeds
> the About dialog) and in the manuals. So what about drawing these data
> from there, without any human interaction?
>
> When developing utils.kde.org I had thought about the problem of
> maintenance a lot. Just consider where for the 4.4 release the new version
> for a program has to be updated:
> * About dialog
> * manual
> * homepage
> * software package/stores (e.g. by lsm, spec or similar files)
> * bugzilla
> * UserBase
> * ?
> Or consider a new program, how often have all the metadata/aboutdata to be
> transformed/copied to all the different places? And, as especially
> typically with new programs, have changes to be redistributed to all these
> places?
>
> See, e.g. Okteta:
> It isn't listed on kde-apps.org. Because I as Okteta's author have better
> to do then to manually maintain another copy of the About Data. And this
> fate might be the same for many other programs of the KDE SC and KDE
> ExtraGear. So I cannot really consider kde-apps.org _the_ database for
> software from KDE (as in: svn account holders).
> On UserBase the version number is wrong. Even with brave Anne and the
> others giving the UserBase pages so much care, which serves so much
> respect. Many Okteta packages still point to ww.kde.org as homepage and
> have an outdated description.
> You get the fact.
>
> The solution I see is a canonical aboutdata format which is stored at a
> [...]

Friedrich,

Thanks for that mail, you exactly get the idea what these app pages are
supposed to do. Serve as an entry point and finally (in the future) be
automated. We were short in time to really make it update automatically but it
is planned nevertheless.
Something like a unique source for app data was already discussed, it is nice
to see first steps into that.
Oh, and btw, you have some nice stuff on utils.kde.org, which you might want to
contribute back to capacity (the media framework) ;)

Ingo Malchow