TODO for the app pages

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Wed Feb 3 16:03:59 UTC 2010

On 03.02.2010, at 12:00, Jos Poortvliet wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Ingo Malchow
> <ingomalchow at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Am Mittwoch, 3. Februar 2010 09:43:14 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
>>> A Dimarts, 2 de febrer de 2010, Daniel Laidig va escriure:
>>>
>>> So are we having application pages in the new www page?
>>>
>>> Doesn't that duplicate:
>>>  * Userbase pages
>>>  * Application pages
>>
>> Not necessarily, the app pages on the main site just give a short overview of
>> the apps, see http://www-devel.kde.org/applications/education/parley/ for an
>> example. Those hold general information and links to further resources (which
>> includes the userbase entry).
>
> Looking at that page I think this will be unmaintainable. Only the
> screenshot and text: that might work, it's rather generic. But having
> the list of features and authors there - that needs to be updated at
> least once a year.
>
> Basically, you'd have to write ANY text and page on the KDE.org
> homepage in such a way that it ONLY needs updating once every 2 or 3
> years. Not because we don't want to update it more often, but because
> history has shown it simply WONT be updated more often. So a list of
> features (unless it is really basic), a list of authors, anything more
> than a simple description of what the app does - it will get outdated
> too soon.
>
> Basically, a lot of the text on the website has NOT been updated since
> the previous rewrite of the website. Don't count on things going
> different this time. I know, you all want to stick around, want to
> update it etc etc - but real life is not like that. There is guarantee
> someone else will take over when you leave, and even then, this ain't
> the most interesting work to do.
>
> The text for parley is perfect. The screenshot is nice. The sidebar
> with 'get more info' is great. The features list and list of authors
> is just a bad idea.
>
> I don't want to shoot this effort down, but you just can't count on a
> page only accessible by SVN to stay updated. Any page which has to be
> updated more than once a year MUST be a wiki or it won't be updated.
>
> Added advantage of keeping the pages without all the fluff: less work
> to get it online.
>
> Please think about getting rid of everything but the sort description
> and the screenshot for all these app pages.
>
> Love,
>
> Jos

I think I agree with Jos. We already have a maintained database of all applications on KDE-Apps.org. The original idea we developer in Stuttgart was to show a big rotating teaser on the top of the applications page with a random core application. For example dolpin or amarok.
Than show a feed of the other corresponding applications from KDE-Apps.org together with screenshots and a short description below the teaser. I developed the code for this the last 2 month and I will add it later today to the application pages.
I´m not sure why we need an additional "database" of aplications here. This will be unmaintained in no time. This shows our experience with the userbase pages or the individual application homepages like xxx.kde.org

Cheers
Frank