TODO for the app pages

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 11:00:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Ingo Malchow
<ingomalchow at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 3. Februar 2010 09:43:14 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
>> A Dimarts, 2 de febrer de 2010, Daniel Laidig va escriure:
>>
>> So are we having application pages in the new www page?
>>
>> Doesn't that duplicate:
>>  * Userbase pages
>>  * Application pages
>
> Not necessarily, the app pages on the main site just give a short overview of
> the apps, see http://www-devel.kde.org/applications/education/parley/ for an
> example. Those hold general information and links to further resources (which
> includes the userbase entry).

Looking at that page I think this will be unmaintainable. Only the
screenshot and text: that might work, it's rather generic. But having
the list of features and authors there - that needs to be updated at
least once a year.

Basically, you'd have to write ANY text and page on the KDE.org
homepage in such a way that it ONLY needs updating once every 2 or 3
years. Not because we don't want to update it more often, but because
history has shown it simply WONT be updated more often. So a list of
features (unless it is really basic), a list of authors, anything more
than a simple description of what the app does - it will get outdated
too soon.

Basically, a lot of the text on the website has NOT been updated since
the previous rewrite of the website. Don't count on things going
different this time. I know, you all want to stick around, want to
update it etc etc - but real life is not like that. There is guarantee
someone else will take over when you leave, and even then, this ain't
the most interesting work to do.

The text for parley is perfect. The screenshot is nice. The sidebar
with 'get more info' is great. The features list and list of authors
is just a bad idea.

I don't want to shoot this effort down, but you just can't count on a
page only accessible by SVN to stay updated. Any page which has to be
updated more than once a year MUST be a wiki or it won't be updated.

Added advantage of keeping the pages without all the fluff: less work
to get it online.

Please think about getting rid of everything but the sort description
and the screenshot for all these app pages.

Love,

Jos