new version KDE - Do I need it?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat May 9 09:58:49 UTC 2009

On Friday 08 May 2009 09:00:00 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Thursday 07 May 2009 20:03:00 Hans Van Quentin wrote:
> > To whom it may concern,
> > I am currently running kde on my eee pc 1000 from asus - linux os from
> > Xandros - I noticed that a new version of kde has been released - since
> > I am new to Linux (this being my first linux computer, and only having
> > it for a couple of months now) I'm wondering, do I need to download this
> > new version, and, if so,  which one do I download - How?
> > I would really appreciate any response. Thanks for your time and
> > consideration. - Hans
>
> You're probably running KDE 3 on your Eee PC, which is indeed a bit dated.
> KDE 4.2 (with KDE 4.2.3 being the latest service update for this) should be
> well suitable for you, so the question is how to install it.
>
> Usually, you would install packages supplied by the distributor (the
> company that selects and offers  the software and updates for you,
> Xandros). Now I don't know if there are KDE 4.2 packages for Xandros
> available, best is to inquire there.
>
> Note that it's often possible to install both, KDE 3 and KDE 4 alongside
> each other, so you can test wether KDE 4 works well for you, and if not
> just go back to KDE 3 and check back later. You're not forced to upgrade.
>
> Hope to help,

You do also need to consider whether you are using an EeePC with a Flash drive
or a hard disk drive.  Not only would the change be a very big download, but
if you have the Flash Drive version it will be filled and possibly make the
system unusable.  (I speak from experience, as I forgot the fact and updated
the EeePC 701's OpenOffice.  It needed a factory reset to make it usable again.)
If you have the hard drive you can just ignore this comment :-)

Anne