new version KDE - Do I need it?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri May 8 08:00:00 UTC 2009

Hi Hans,

On Thursday 07 May 2009 20:03:00 Hans Van Quentin wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
> I am currently running kde on my eee pc 1000 from asus - linux os from
> Xandros - I noticed that a new version of kde has been released - since
> I am new to Linux (this being my first linux computer, and only having
> it for a couple of months now) I'm wondering, do I need to download this
> new version, and, if so,  which one do I download - How?
> I would really appreciate any response. Thanks for your time and
> consideration. - Hans

You're probably running KDE 3 on your Eee PC, which is indeed a bit dated. KDE
4.2 (with KDE 4.2.3 being the latest service update for this) should be well
suitable for you, so the question is how to install it.

Usually, you would install packages supplied by the distributor (the company
that selects and offers  the software and updates for you, Xandros). Now I
don't know if there are KDE 4.2 packages for Xandros available, best is to
inquire there.

Note that it's often possible to install both, KDE 3 and KDE 4 alongside each
other, so you can test wether KDE 4 works well for you, and if not just go
back to KDE 3 and check back later. You're not forced to upgrade.

Hope to help,
--
sebas