Privacy issue with your site

Andy Goossens andygoossens at telenet.be
Fri Jun 26 19:49:05 UTC 2009

Op donderdag 25 juni 2009 20:35:36 schreef Anne Wilson:
> On Wednesday 24 June 2009 17:42:21 Brian wrote:
> > I don't post to your mailing lists and yet lists.kde.org is one of the
> > first results for my name.
> >
> > http://www.google.com/search?q=%22brian+mingus%22
> >
> > This is unacceptable - the Wikimedia Foundation has banned spiders from
> > crawling their mailing lists using robots.txt. Please remove this page
> > from your site.
>
> This is a very strange thing.  The link that mentions kde is in the second
> 10 - yet if you click on it you get taken to an archive of messages to
> Wikitech- l.  It doesn't appear to have any connection with KDE.

It is not that strange: The hostname "lists.kde.org" is an alias for
"marc.info". The actual content is on marc.info but we provide an alternative
way to access it. If you replace any "lists.kde.org" URL by "marc.info" then
it will still work.

If you take a look at http://lists.kde.org/robots.txt then it is obvious that
every spider but Google(bot) is banned. Not that it will stop the bad guys...