Question about Spreadsheet

mizoguchi-tetsuo at nst.hitachi-hitec.com mizoguchi-tetsuo at nst.hitachi-hitec.com
Fri Jan 23 08:10:42 UTC 2009

I am Tetsuo Mizoguchi of Japan.
Thank you for giving me advice when I gave the Question below last year.

> I am Tetsuo Mizoguchi of Japan.
> I am considering employing KSpread.
>
> I would like to know about export control of KSpread(the latest version).
> Is KSpread subject to the EAR(Export Administration Regulations),
> under which export of an US product is controlled, even export from
> countries other than the USA?

We applied KSpread to our PC which employees carry on business trip.
We avoid employing US-origin programs such as Excel, Gnumeric, and
Openoffice,
because we may go to countries where importi of US commodity is prohibited
by
the USA, under EAR(Export Administration Regulations).
Of course our business is for a good purpose and intension.

Also, we want to transform Exel files into the KSpread files so that we can
use it in the  PC.
However, the transformation is not going well. The format is changed.

As a result, we are considering employng another spreadsheet supporting
Ubuntu.
We would appreciate it if you would let us know about other spreadsheets
other than KSpread.
(excluding Excel Gnumeric or OpenOffice)
European or Asian origin is desirable.

Although I know it is a very strange question, I would appreciate your
help.

Thank you.

             Sebastian K?gler
             <sebas at kde.org>
                                                                      宛先
             2008/11/27 09:24          mizoguchi-tetsuo at nst.hitachi-hitec.
                                       com
                                                                        cc
                                       kde-www at kde.org
                                                                      件名
                                       Re: Question about Export Control
                                       of KSpread

Mizoguchi-San,

On Tuesday 25 November 2008 05:51:43 mizoguchi-tetsuo at nst.hitachi-hitec.com

wrote:
> I am Tetsuo Mizoguchi of Japan.
> I am considering employing KSpread.
>
> I would like to know about export control of KSpread(the latest version).
> Is KSpread subject to the EAR(Export Administration Regulations),
> under which export of an US product is controlled, even export from
> countries other than the USA?

Unlikely, and certainly not that I know of.

> In this sense, I think KSpread is not subjet to EAR, because it is
> developed outside the USA, distrbuted from outside the USA, and US
> technologies are not used.
> Is this right?

Yes, that is true. KSpread is developed by an International team, and it's
distributed from outside the U.S..

> Whatever the origin, KSpread an open soursce program, and basically,
> it is not subject to EAR. However, if it has an encryption function,
> it may be controlled under EAR.
> In this sense, does KSpread have an encryption function?

As far as I know, KSpread doesn't have encryption functionality that would
fall under this law.

> I would appreciate it if you would teach me.

Please note that I am not a lawyer, and therefore might oversee certain
things. Please do not take my advice as legal advice. I do have some
knowledge
about the technologies you ask, so my advice would be indicative, but not
conclusive in this regard.

Also, if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Kind regards,
--
Sebastian K?gler

[添付ファイル "signature.asc" は mizoguchit/NISSEI が削除しました]