Language specific wiki subdomains

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 16:31:12 UTC 2009

Yeah, I've wondered about this too.

Frederic Sheedy wrote:
> 2009/1/3 Anne Wilson <annew at kde.org>:
>> I know that most of the maintenance of these language pages falls on kde
>> translators, and I don't want to make it harder for them than necessary.
>> However, I'm unsure just what implications we need to consider.  I'd be
>> glad to hear any thoughts, pros and cons, regarding this.
>
> PROS:
> - clear separation between languages. For example, users will be in
> English or French, not a bit of English and French.
> - search and random page function will not give multi-language results.
> - this is how wikipedia.org works, they have experience with wiki
> sub-domains, so we are sure that will work.
> - this is documented directly from mediawiki:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Wiki_family.

All good ones. Particularly wrt separation.

> CONS:
> - need a wiki for each sub domain.

Do we really need a wiki for each subdomain? A couple of years ago I tried
one wiki installation with symlinks and different localsettings.php for
each, and it worked. I only tried locally though. Didn't deploy anywhere.

> - a user account is valid for only one wiki (to be confirm).

I think that's true. However, why would a translator of the French wiki need
an account on the Italian one? Unless they translate for both.

> - need to do modifications on the actual wiki.

What does this mean?

more:

 - The content would have to be moved (Though can be scripted)
 - Some translations on *bases have only a few pages translated. Not enough
to justify a subdomain. Chicken and egg issue.