Restructuring techbase and userbase

Mark Ziegler mark.ziegler at rakekniven.de
Sun Jan 4 11:33:24 UTC 2009

Hallo,

am Samstag, 3. Januar 2009 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> > You can use one account for multiple pages. So maybe people should get
> > used to use OpenID. In our opninion ;-)
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this.

OpenID is nice, but not trivial as a normal login consisting of
username/password. I do not know why we offer only OpenID.

> > A thing I would like to talk about is the future of Userbase. Should it
> > be the home (website) for some apps like skanlite or lokalize. I spoke to
> > the authors and they like the idea. We discussed that in our september
> > meeting, but there was no decision.
>
> Some of the smaller projects have already made that decision.
Which one for example?

> My opinion
> is that the devs in question should decide whether they want to use
> userbase as a project home, or whether they want a full-blown project site,
> with userbase linking to it.  IMO there is room for both - I don't see any
> conflict.
Me either, but I thought we would like to offer userbase as their home to
reduce no. of outdated *.kde.org pages?

See kbabels page at http://kbabel.kde.org/
We need something similar for lokalize.
How to deal with that? A userbase page (few lines, a screenshot and some
links) and techbase page for lokalize does not leave the same mark as a page
made with Capacity.

> If you are ready to contribute, please read UserBase and
> UserBase/Guidelines before starting.
>
> where UserBase and UserBase/Guidelines are links.  Do they not give the
> information that you are needing?  If not, we need to discuss what else is
> required and the best way to present it.
I know these pages. Userbase is fine at the moment.
But I doubt that userbase is groing like techbase. To less people
contributing.

> > We talked about reducing no. of outdated *.kde.org pages, but where to
> > put the content?
> > The promo people missing a place to provide slides, movies, managing
> > events. Will we have onther wiki? Than we need to spent time on cleaning
> > up techbase and moving content.
>
> Wherever the promo people keep these, they should be linked from userbase
> or techbase, as appropriate.

Hmmh. Its like in September. Discussion at kde-www, discussion at promo list
... and no accordance :-(

And I really doubt that userbase is the right place to manage events or
maintain lists for talk slides.

Cheers,
Mark

--
If you find typos or wondering of my short message, this is related to my
current limited mobility.