Restructuring techbase and userbase

Dominik Haumann dhdev at gmx.de
Sat Jan 3 19:50:46 UTC 2009

Hi,

-> Trailing slashes
We have a patch for mediawiki we usually applied on techbase so that it is
automatically removed. I'm in favour of applying it again, and am strongly
agains doing it manually!

-> More toplevel items
Meanwhile I'd agree to open techbase a bit more like we have on userbase. I
think it's ok if an app has its own toplevel item. But then, all the
content (tutorials, irc logs, contact infos, whatever) should still use
subpages in my opinion. Having this kind of structure later (i.e. when
maintaining it) helps a *lot* to decide what a page is about.
You mentioned below [[porting kjots to kde4 pillars]]. This is definitely
something I'd like to avoid.

-> Overview pages
In usebase we have something like [[Applications/Multimedia]] which works
very well as far as I can see. So I imagine it'll also work for techbase.
Another idea would be to introduce the concepts of portals again:
Portal:Applications. For those who are not familiar with this, the
prefix "Portal:" is kind of a namespace. Afaik this has to be enabled in
the localsettings.php file (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Portal)

-> {{:syntax}} usage
This kind of usage makes sense only in very few cases. As example, I'd like
to mention e.g. Plasma/Tutorials which is then included in
[[Development/Tutorials]]. But I don't see the real benefit to include the
tip of an app by using this semantic, in contrary: Searching for content
will deliver duplicates.

Flashback of the last two years:
I've reviewed almost every change in techbase for the last two years now and
I don't have to change lots of stuff, so maintaining works quite ok this
way. I'd like to stress that maintainability is one of the most important
issues, otherwise we'll end with wiki.kde.org. That said, I also have to
say that I don't have the holy grail either, so: Who Codes Decides.

Dominik