Killing http://printing.kde.org/

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu Dec 3 10:58:51 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 02 December 2009 23:29:10 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dilluns, 30 de novembre de 2009, vàreu escriure:
> > On Sunday 29 November 2009 19:12:46 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > I did a bit of digging myself and found nothing really useful since
> > > there is lot of description of things that don't exist anymore. The
> > > only things i'd save would be the links to the mailing lists and some
> > > info that is CUPS specific.
> >
> > It's a sad but true situation. I didn't have any time for KDE printing in
> >  the last 2 years and I don't think I will have for the short future. I
> >  still manage the mailing lists, but I wouldn't have time or energy to
> >  eventually take care of the printing.kde.org site.
> >
> > Thanks for looking into this.
>
> So after having a more close look to the whole page the only things that
>  can be useful in our current situation are
>
> Points to bugzilla for bugs and the two mailing lists
> http://printing.kde.org/contact.php
>
> CUPS-only information
> http://printing.kde.org/faq/cups.php
> http://printing.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/accesscontrol.php
> http://printing.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/quotas.php
>
> And as well as i like CUPS only information i really don't see it belonging
>  to KDE pages.
>
> So i just suggest killing the whole site and creating an userbase page for
> printing.
>
> I can do the userbase page if you agree on killing the whole site.

Since CUPS correct setup is crucial to printing success, could you please
ensure that the userbase page has a link to guidance on CUPS setup?  Thanks.

This does remind me of another problem, though.  Userbase has, up to now, been
arrange largely around applications, but issues like this spell out the need
for change.  I'm not going to pollute this thread any further - I'll start a
new one about that - but I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts there, too.

Anne

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group