Make the new layout available for i18n pages

Chris Howells chris at chrishowells.co.uk
Sun Mar 9 20:58:30 UTC 2003

Hi Pavel,

On Saturday 01 March 2003 23:58, Pavel Franc wrote:
> I know that you are busy improving kde.org pages but please don't
> forget about i18n. It's really shame that the new page
> design can't be use on non English pages without extra work.

I'm really interested in making this work, but since I know virtually nothing
about i18n (English being my first language) I'd be greatful for some help :)

> So, use the simple i18n () function instead (as it was mentioned either).

Where was this i18n() function mentioned earlier? Is there a built in PHP
i18n() function or would we need to roll our own?

> As a web master of czechia.kde.org I tried to use the new layout
> translating the PHP scrips directly. And here is a short summarization
> about what should be done to make my life easier:
>

> 1) Introduce i10n() function ...

Would this be in addition to i18n() or just one needed?

> 2) include_once ("$site_root/media/$locale.inc");
>     setlocale(LC_ALL, $locale);
>
> There will be media directory at the site root and $locale will be set
> by the page itself or by some site_name.inc

I think this has been done.

> function.inc
> ----------
> kde_news_dot() &  kde_news_apps()
>    - use strftime() instead of date()

Will take a look into this...

>    - include "extra disclaimer" after dot news. Though it will be empty

What is the "extra disclaimer" for?

> "Search" - test for variable $site_search. If set use
>             include_once ($site_root/media/search.inc);
>             instead of default search box.
>
> "Hotspot" - test for variable $site_hotspot. If set use
>              include_once ($site_root/media/hotspot);
>              instead of default hotspot.
> "footer"  - test for variable $site_footer. If set use
>              include_once ($site_root/media/footer.inc);
>              instead of default footer note.
>

> "menu_right" - test for variable $site_menu_right. If set use
>              include_once ($site_root/media/menu_right.inc);
>              instead of default menu_right.inc.

Will think about implementing these.

> header.inc
> ----------
> "encoding"  - test for variable $encoding. If set use
>                $encoding instead of "ISO-8859-1" in

I think we use UTF-8 now so this shouldn't be a problem.

> "lang" - use $locale instead of "en" in

I think this might have been done, if not I'll look at this later.

> "location" - test for variable $site_location. If set use
>              include_once ($site_root/media/location.inc);
>              instead of default

Will think about this.

>    <form action="/media/switch.php" method="post">
> class_menu.inc
> use htmlspecialchars() instead of htmlentitie()

This has been already done I think.

- --
Cheers, Chris Howells -- chris at chrishowells.co.uk, howells at kde.org
Web: http://chrishowells.co.uk, PGP ID: 33795A2C