kde.org redesign

Andreas Pour pour at mieterra.com
Sun Jan 26 19:08:11 UTC 2003

Hi,

On to a substantive comment :-).  The current design uses 300 pixels before the
first line of useful text, and that is excluding the Konqi toolbars.  If you
include toolbars and window decos, you need 435 pixels before the first piece of
text is visible (by first piece of text I mean "KDE is a powerful Open Source .
. .").  Even assuming we don't care about laptop users, I think that is too
much.

The current "top" of the page is at http://promo.kde.org/testing/testing-now.jpg
.  I have re-organized it a bit, to yield
http://promo.kde.org/testing/testing-changed.png , which reduces the wasted
space quite a bit.

In addition, I think the "quote of the day" is far too prominent and pointless.
I do not see what these quotes have to do with KDE.  Now if we put a "tip of the
day" in there from the kdebase apps or so, maybe it makes some sense.  I was
trying to think of other things that might go in that most valuable of screen
estate spaces - I thought perhaps of the current event logo, that is currently
at the top left of the www.kde.org page (today the "patent" one but it often
switches when KDE will be at a show or so).

Some other minor comments:  I think we should lose the "Impressum" link at the
bottom of the page, it is confusing.  Maybe label it "Legal" if the link *has*
to be there (I can't imagine why it would).  Also I would place the trademark
notice there in a smaller font.

Looks like we are getting close, great job, everyone :-).

Ciao,

Dre