Problem porting Usability to the new design

Jason Bainbridge jaseone at myrealbox.com
Mon Feb 17 12:42:56 UTC 2003

On Monday 17 February 2003 20:10, ojschmidt at kde.org wrote:
> [Jason Bainbridge]
>
> > Apart from having to re-do all the menu.inc's which isn't really a
> > problem just time consuming, I'd like to be able to replace the Search
> > form from the main page with the existing one from usability.kde.org.
>
> I would prefer a solution where a subsite specific search could be
> integrated into the general search engine.
>
> Then you could select either
> "usability.kde.org", "kde.org", "Applications", "Themes",
> "Documentation" or "Google" on usability.kde.org,
> "accessibility.kde.org", "kde.org", "Applications", "Themes",
> "Documentation" or "Google" on accessibility.kde.org, and so on, without
> the need to write new search engines for every subsite of kde.org.
>
> Is it possible to create a general solution this way?

It would be possible to do this but currently the search engine used is an
external one and not very efficient, I did propose we change to Daniel
Naber's Perlfect Search Engine that is used on  a few of the subdomains
already including Usability but I didn't get much feedback.

> > PS. just realised I haven't fixed the Location function to include the
> > current page yet, I'll do that while porting usability.
>
> IMHO opinion the location should only be shown on the KDE home page, and
> maybe application home pages that have a translation (but then the
> Location menu would have to be a specific one).

I was referring to the breadcrumb menu here, a separate mail addressed the
Location dropdown and Christoph has subsequently made that optional.

Jason Bainbridge				|	KDE - Conquer Your Desktop
Maintainer - http://usability.kde.org	|	webmaster at usability.kde.org
Co-Maintainer - http://kde.org		|	webmaster at kde.org