WDG HTML Validator

Andy Goossens andygoossens at pandora.be
Tue Sep 24 16:14:45 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 24 September 2002 11:23, Jason Bainbridge wrote:
> I might be showing my lack of recent experience here but does everyone know
> of the alternative to W3C's online validation tool, namely the WDG HTML
> Validator (http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/)? This one will spider
> a whole site, so you don't have to feed it each page you want t check.

I was aware of that :-) In fact, I use the offline-validator to validate
websites together with a small spider I'm developing (nothing big, not
finished, ...).

And I can confirm that http://usability.kde.org validates perfectly now :-)
One small remark though:
Page /activity/completed/panelconfig.php contains "javascript:" links like
(my spider pointed it out :-)

Don't use that. Some people don't have JavaScript (enabled), and for them the
link just doesn't work. Put the Javascript code in an onclick attribute and
append "return false;" (= stop action after execution JS = don't open the
real link when we already have a popup). And put a real link in the href
attribute. Like so...
onclick="javascript:openpopup('kicker_position.png',607,582); return false;">

It will work now with and without JavaScript.

--
Andy Goossens -- andygoossens at pandora dot be

"Use the Source, Luke..."