kde.org website redesign

marko faas argus at dds.nl
Sun Sep 22 16:35:46 UTC 2002

On Sun, 2002-09-22 at 17:02, Timo A. Hummel wrote:
> > on kde.org the user will find only the intersting stuff for kde desktop env.
> > in general, like the proposal with:
>
> Good point. Maybe we should do "profiling" - a way of classifying the
> needs for certain user groups.

<snip>

Well, I actually proposed that a vouple of days ago. But this idea of
several user groups wasn't received with much enthousiasm... But here is
the rough idea I posted again:

*** WELCOME TO KDE ***

Explain:
- What is KDE
- Explain Open Source
- Screenshots KDE
- Windows/Apple vs KDE
- Linux vs KDE
- Why should I switch to KDE? (aka the good points)
- Why shouldn't I switch to KDE? (aka the bad points)
- How to get KDE

News:
No news in this section

Database:
- Where to get KDE (list of distributions and their Unique Selling
Points)
- Comparation tables with software from Windows, Apple, KDE/X11, GNOME

Community
- Chat with developers, advanced users that are willing to serve as a
guide

*** NOVICE USERS ***

Explain:
- The essentials (fonts, skins, settings)
- How and where to get help
- Howto's about simple issues

News:
- Where's KDE heading, what to expect
- KDE milestones
- New consumer oriented services
- Where to see KDE in action (Linux shows)
- Features about KDE people

Database:
- Software-selector
- Help (read only)

Community:
-

*** ADVANCED USERS ***

Explain:
- Roadmap KDE
- Whitepapers
- Howto about complicated issues

News:
- Where's KDE heading, what to expect
- KDE milestones
- New consumer oriented services
- Where to see KDE in action (Linux shows)
- Features about KDE people
- KDE beta's
- KDE Apps beta's

Database: