kde.org website redesign

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at babylon2k.de
Sun Sep 22 12:46:42 UTC 2002

On Sunday 22 September 2002 14:05, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Sunday 22 September 2002 14:02, Jason Bainbridge wrote:
> > Christoph,
> >

> > My only real concern with any new layout is that we get more screen real
> > estate to work with for content and looking at your screenshot, I think
> > that is going to be accomplished that is if the table sizes are relative?
>
> I do beleive Christoph got that complaint before :)
I even complained about the fixed with of the first proposal myself ;), but
Sebastian's proposal seems to have relative width tables ;)

> > To make things easier to find a different order to the menu's on the left
> > might be a good idea. Suggest maybe the following order:
> >
> > Downloads - After all that's the main thing people will want
> > Info - After they have downloaded they want to learn more
> > Contact - Not to far down in case people wanta  helping hand
> > Explore - Put this above develop just due to the fact that people wanting
> > to develop would be more willing to search for information.
> > Develop - As above.
Sounds as a good point for start with.

> Hmm; why try to change BOTH the look & feel and the content.
> You will face a lot faster turnaround and a lot less problems when you do
> each step seperately.
>
> So IMO the same liks and same content should stay; only the look should
> change at first iteration.
I disagree, a fresh look is important, but a more usable site is more
important. As the design will be done by one group (around sebastion, qwertz,
everaldo, ...) and the structure/usability will be worked on in the usability
corner (with help of kde-www people I hope) there won'T be any problem to do
both at the same time parallel, php will help us to seperate the content and
design nicely. The whole structural redesign will be first focused on the
kde.org mainpage, which wouldn't make that much work as there is simply not
that much content, the kde family will be only switched to the new layout in
the first step (if the admins of the sites accept it, but that is still
future, first we must have the final design).

P.S.
KDE 3.1 is a good example where the design and usability teams both have done
a great job without big problems/clashes.

cu
Christoph

- --
Christoph Cullmann