kde.org website redesign

Jason Bainbridge jaseone at myrealbox.com
Sun Sep 22 12:02:18 UTC 2002

Christoph,

I have been monitoring the threads on kde-www and have so far been quiet as I
haven't had anything productive to add as my concerns had already been
voiced.

I've been working on usability.kde.org lately (new content, xhtml compliance
etc.) and don't think using the new look would be much of an issue as long as
nobody else from kde-usability doesn't object of course. :)

My only real concern with any new layout is that we get more screen real
estate to work with for content and looking at your screenshot, I think that
is going to be accomplished that is if the table sizes are relative?

To make things easier to find a different order to the menu's on the left
might be a good idea. Suggest maybe the following order:

Downloads - After all that's the main thing people will want
Info - After they have downloaded they want to learn more
Contact - Not to far down in case people wanta  helping hand
Explore - Put this above develop just due to the fact that people wanting to
develop would be more willing to search for information.
Develop - As above.

Also I think space would be better used in the list of KDE Family sites by
using slightly more descriptive names, the .kde.org is pretty much redundant
in fact usability.kde.org currently deviates from the norm in this regard and
I personally think it is better that way.

Otherwise the new layout is looking pretty good. :-)

Cheers!
- --
Jason Bainbridge
KDE - Conquer Your Desktop