No, not just yet! ;)

Datschge at gmx.de Datschge at gmx.de
Wed Oct 23 19:39:55 UTC 2002

> It *is* the prerogative of KDE to make the use of a consistent,
> usable KDE style mandatory for use of the kde.org domain, just the
> same as KDE can require that apps obey KDE standards to be in the
> KDE releases.

Yes and no. It's not like KDE doesn't give developers no freedom
anymore, it's not like KDE is highly innovative and completely
different than anything else which would be needed to be preserved
against "bad influences" from outside. It's quite the contrary as
we can see in KDE's history: For a long time (and maybe even now)
KDE is more or less seen as a MS Windows clone, and I state this
didn't keep user and developers from coming but rather was in fact
welcomed by many of them. Also standards were not imposed from the
very beginning but agreed on and included during the time when more
and more developers saw an advantage in a really consistently looking
and behaving system. And those standards are not hard to follow since
many people do see that it has advantages following them.

What we need to do is creating a similar standard set for KDE
websites: They should follow certain standard everyone is agreeing to
anyway (anyone really like frames? I doubt, so let's forbid them),
but it should also allow custom changes. Whatever design we'll decide
for in the end, it should be ensured that everyone is willing to take
it over on his own site. This, again, can only reached when we give
the design a high degree of flexibility. Changing the title logo is
the most obvious thing you should be allowed to change. Fonts and
colors can be changed with no problem thanks to CSS. Design elements
like menues, search boxes, location bar etc. should made modular in a
way that the resulting design still looks consistent when compared to
other sites using the same design but other modules.

What we are doing right now is, to be blunt, stupid: We started
creating reference designs without even asking our "lucky" webmasters
what they'd want to see, what they'd be willing to take over and what
they'd never want to take over in whatsoever circumstance. We first
need to make such a survey, and only after we know what kind of basic
rule set they'd agree with we can start giving basic designs and
reference add-ons for those who want to add further stuff to their
sites.

Does that sound reasonable?