GETTING SERIOUS INDEED! (mailing list archives)

Aunt Sally auntsally at linuxmail.org
Sun Oct 13 19:32:25 UTC 2002

Dear Martin and Tim,

I am so glad to hear Hank has an exceptions list, and that you atleast are on it. What you have not heard is that I found myself on his blocking list after 15 - 20 clicks in KDE-Cygwin list archive. Just ordinary navigation, choose October, choose thread, go back, choose September, find one answer, start looking for answer to another question in August, click one useless thread, click another... AND BAM!

Nothing works anymore! Not search, not other lists, not even Hanks about page! Totally blocked out from something that should be freely available! For something that I thought would be smarter than bugging people with what obviously must be FAQ's. After 2 nights of reading everything on KDE-Cygwin multiple times, it was obvious anyone installing the packages would have the same issues. So, those things must have been answered already too. And I am being denied access to the very answers at the very official sounding lists.kde.org domain!

I would be most grateful if anyone could point me to a more stable archive provider. I would most probably click away happily on any other service. Because I have never encountered such treatment as this Hank is giving me. And I have not said his logs are "bogus", that's just him lying by putting words into my mouth. I have called his blocking system "buggy". I have not told him to remove it, instead, I have told him to fix it.

Now you know everything from my end. No excessive reloads, no "multiple requests per second for several minutes" as he says, my Mozilla browser isn't built for such speeds. Draw your own conclusions about his blocking system, and his willingness to admit he is treating people wrong at a wrong domain.

If you haven't seen his buggy blocking system in action, here is what you get from all links on lists.kde.org:

"
Sorry, robots which don't behave themselves (rate-limit how fast they snarf pages, and make requests in serial, not in parallel) or can't read HREFs properly are not allowed. Please feel free to _contact_ (subject: I am not a robot) us for more information about this, or if you feel you have received this message in error.
"

If you get that, he has to manually unblock you. That however is only a short term fix, as you will be blocked again next time you browse at lists.kde.org. Unless you are important enough to end up on his exceptions list.

Because he sure as heck isn't bent on fixing his problems.

I am currently using a small local ISP. Would I come from a bigger one, Hank would have that on exceptions list already, and I'd have no trouble browsing the knowlegde found in the mailing lists. I just have to suck it up, and be without the archives.

Well, Hank, you can keep this little village blocked. I am probably the only one here who has anything with KDE to do, and I am moving on soon enough. Elsewhere though... only national ISPs... you can't handle that amount of "I am not a robot" mails, so I'll be back on your exceptions list then. Happy me :(

-As

PS. For those who asked, I have done nothing bad or messy in my "end". And I know this for a fact as I have never been blocked from any service before! It's just with this one snob with his tinkerings, only at a too important a place.

And feel free to flame me at auntsally at linuxmail.org , as I am not on kde-www, and am denied access to the
official archives of it.