Structure of our websites (in CVS + on the servers)

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at babylon2k.de
Sun Oct 13 15:38:36 UTC 2002

On Saturday 12 October 2002 10:32, Jason Bainbridge wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:47, Daniel Naber wrote:
> > On Friday 11 October 2002 10:22, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > > yeah, I want that *.kde.org is accessible through www.kde.org/apps/* or
> > > www.kde.org/areas/*
> >
> > I don't think that's a good idea. It will only confuse users (who either
> > don't know there are two URLs and if they do they might think that one is
> > a mirror of the other), search engines (which will index the pages twice
> > because they appear at different URLs) and authors (who will add broken
> > links again after you fixed them because they are not aware of the
> > issues). I only see problems, no advantages.
> >
> > regards
> >  Daniel
>
> The more I think about it the more I think that the re-organisation should
> be mainly just within CVS, leaving everything else the same except of
> course updating the cron jobs to grab the right source from the right place
> for the various sites.
For the start that would be fine with me, too.

> Something like the following structure for CVS (using only a small sample
> of sites):
>
> /www
> 	/apps
> 		/kate
> 		/multimedia
> 	/docs
> 	/home (the main kde.org)
> 	/developer
> 	/printing
> 	/usability

I would more like to see a struture like

/www
/www/apps/* (koffice, konqueror, kooka, kate, ksvg)
/www/areas/* (multimedia, usability, ...)

And the www.kde.org main homepage just under /www

All subpages using the templates in /www/templates (in the long run)

> Basically having a main www module so all the web stuff is in one CVS
> module, with kde.org being moved to /www/home and all the other *.kde.org
> sites being at the same level or alternatively they could be put within sub
> categories.
>
> Doing it this way would still reach the goal of improving the
> maintainability of the sites, plus it would still preserve the existing
> paths and the links could remain the same. There could also be some benefit
> to allowing each of the sites to customise the new templates even if they
> just want to make some slight adjustments or do something like a different
> colour scheme.
>
> I would have no problems in all in giving the go ahead for usability to
> moved over to this sort of structure as it would not affect any of the code
> base but moving it within the root of kde.org as proposed would take more
> work and planning to accomplish.
I don'T know why putting it into
/www/areas/usabilty
would make much more work, for the first time it will be simply addressed via
usability.kde.org (if we change the cron stuff to fetch it from its new
location) and can run just as before, later the links should be changed to be
just relative, than it will work both fine with usability.kde.org or
www.kde.org/areas/usability and we can switch over to the new templates than.
To let each subpage have a local copy of the templates will just cause:
- - again fragmentation
- - lots of work if you need fix something in the templates
- - no common look and feel (if the maintainers change the templates too much)

Even if we all use the same templates, it is very easy to lay around some
"alternative" css files for costumization the colors, ....

cu
Christoph

> Regards,

- --