Structure of our websites (in CVS + on the servers)

Jason Bainbridge jaseone at myrealbox.com
Sat Oct 12 08:32:04 UTC 2002

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:47, Daniel Naber wrote:
> On Friday 11 October 2002 10:22, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > yeah, I want that *.kde.org is accessible through www.kde.org/apps/* or
> > www.kde.org/areas/*
>
> I don't think that's a good idea. It will only confuse users (who either
> don't know there are two URLs and if they do they might think that one is
> a mirror of the other), search engines (which will index the pages twice
> because they appear at different URLs) and authors (who will add broken
> links again after you fixed them because they are not aware of the
> issues). I only see problems, no advantages.
>
> regards
>  Daniel

The more I think about it the more I think that the re-organisation should be
mainly just within CVS, leaving everything else the same except of course
updating the cron jobs to grab the right source from the right place for the
various sites.

Something like the following structure for CVS (using only a small sample of
sites):

/www
	/apps
		/kate
		/multimedia
	/docs
	/home (the main kde.org)
	/developer
	/printing
	/usability

Basically having a main www module so all the web stuff is in one CVS module,
with kde.org being moved to /www/home and all the other *.kde.org sites being
at the same level or alternatively they could be put within sub categories.

Doing it this way would still reach the goal of improving the maintainability
of the sites, plus it would still preserve the existing paths and the links
could remain the same. There could also be some benefit to allowing each of
the sites to customise the new templates even if they just want to make some
slight adjustments or do something like a different colour scheme.

I would have no problems in all in giving the go ahead for usability to moved
over to this sort of structure as it would not affect any of the code base
but moving it within the root of kde.org as proposed would take more work and
planning to accomplish.

Jason Bainbridge
KDE - Conquer Your Desktop
The KDE Usability Project - http://usability.kde.org