Structure of our websites (in CVS + on the servers)

Jason Bainbridge JaseOne at myrealbox.com
Fri Oct 11 03:25:33 UTC 2002

>Why?  What's wrong with usability.kde.org being the >same as
>www.kde.org/usability, especially since now they're >going to look the
>same?

It would stuff up some paths I'm sure, as to how many and how easy they would be to fix up I'm not so sure, so it may be a non issue just thought I'd raise it. eg. if anything referenced /cgi-bin in a *.kde.org page in the new structure it would be looking at kde.org's cgi-bin and not it's own.

>KDE's ACLs do work per-directory.  I have write access >only to www/kde-ev,
>not to the whole www.

That's good to hear so it's one less hurdle out of the way. :)

I totally agree, all I was referring to is for example if you currently access a site as http://kde.org/kate
then you would know to look in CVS under www/kate but if we move the module to www/apps/kate will the URL stay as http://kde.org/kate somehow or will we live with the broken links and move it to http://kde.org/apps/kate? The latter is obviously a lot cleaner and the more I think about it I think we should take the plunge and make the change across the board as it will reap a lot of benefits.

> - Would it be feasible to create a new module with the new structure and
> gradually move sites over with the assistance of individual maintainers?
> I think if all of it was done at once and with the number of people
> involved it would be quite an error prone process.

>Why a new module?

I thought it might be easier to seperate the old from the new and make the migration easier if they were in seperate modules, plus allow the test to run as a pilot that we could switch over with relative ease.

So in conclusion I think this re-org needs to be done and am fully behind it, I just want to make sure we do it right and think of all the consequences of doing so.

Regards,
Jason Bainbridge
KDE - Conquer Your Desktop
KDE Usability Project - http://usability.kde.org