Structure of our websites (in CVS + on the servers)

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at babylon2k.de
Thu Oct 10 17:18:46 UTC 2002

On Thursday 10 October 2002 17:34, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> Christoph Cullmann <cullmann at babylon2k.de> wrote:
> > Simple:
> > - - will you maintain the current mess ?
>
> The current mess has its own maintainers, you want to wrestle for
> control?  :-)
I ask every maintainer if it is ok to move their stuff around. I won't change
the internals of the *.kde.org pages, I only want to get them located more
cleanly.

> > - - will the current mess be maintainable at all in some years ?
>
> Ask the maintainers for each site and project.
look above

> > - - where does the user get his first impression of kde ? normally it
> > starts with looking at the pages and downloading it (if it is not
> > allready on the distro)
> > - - where does the user search for infos ?
>
> And does the user really want to spend time navigating enforced
> hierarchies anyway?  I think it's much better to have
> http://dot.kde.org/ instead of http://www.kde.org/areaname/dot/.
You don't read my mail, I never said I want to remove the *.kde.org domains,
but I want to have the directory structure clean. yeah, we could continue and
senseless dumb every new app and *.kde.org domain into www/???? or create for
each and everything a new cvs module, in the end you will come to a point
where
a) nobody knows where the stuff really is located in cvs
b) you simply can'T reorganize it, as it is too late
Even atm it is quiet hard to get any structure into it without breaking lots
of crosslinks, that won't get better in 1 year, that only will get worse.

> > The webpages are at least the 1st representation of kde and the place
> > users start to search for help, therefor a bit work on it won't be that
> > bad. And simply giving the current pages a new design without cleaning up
> > the structure and giving the user a better navigation/overview would be
> > just, as Neil mentioned sometimes ago (Neil, hope don'T quote you wrong):
> > change for the matter of change.
>
> I don't think you realise what you're getting yourself into...  If you
> want to make a better frontend, you're free to attempt this without
> breaking or touching existing stuff.
1) I don'T break anything atm
2) I won't touch the design of any existing page until the new design is ready
+ I get the ok of the maintainer of that existing page, but the whole design
+ navigation stuff  isn't my own stuff, that is and will be done in team with
many others (and is underway just atm)

> > Pain will it mostly for me, as I will try to get that stuff working and
> > for the people who want to help, not for the rest.
>
> That's naive...  there is *so much* going on with the current stuff.
> Trust me, there is going to be mucho breakage.  There are a lot of
> scripts set up on multiple servers that pull from various directories
> in CVS and that's not the last of it.
Therefor I won'T do all changes at once and won'T do any change that breaks
the server structure without talking with the sysadmins & maintainers, but
that won'T disscussed here, that is a matter of the corresponding people.

I agree that reorganizing lots of stuff now is WORK, I agree that it might
temporary break some pages and I even agree that it is not that fun to do it,
but in the end, cleaning up the house isn't fun, but you need to do it, if
you don't do it for years, it won't make it better.

cu
Christoph

- --
Christoph Cullmann