Structure of our websites (in CVS + on the servers)

Navindra Umanee navindra at cs.mcgill.ca
Thu Oct 10 15:34:38 UTC 2002

Christoph Cullmann <cullmann at babylon2k.de> wrote:
> Simple:
> - - will you maintain the current mess ?

The current mess has its own maintainers, you want to wrestle for
control?  :-)

> - - will the current mess be maintainable at all in some years ?

Ask the maintainers for each site and project.

> - - where does the user get his first impression of kde ? normally it starts
> with looking at the pages and downloading it (if it is not allready on the
> distro)
> - - where does the user search for infos ?

And does the user really want to spend time navigating enforced
hierarchies anyway?  I think it's much better to have
http://dot.kde.org/ instead of http://www.kde.org/areaname/dot/.

> The webpages are at least the 1st representation of kde and the place users
> start to search for help, therefor a bit work on it won't be that bad. And
> simply giving the current pages a new design without cleaning up the
> structure and giving the user a better navigation/overview would be just, as
> Neil mentioned sometimes ago (Neil, hope don'T quote you wrong): change for
> the matter of change.

I don't think you realise what you're getting yourself into...  If you
want to make a better frontend, you're free to attempt this without
breaking or touching existing stuff.

> Pain will it mostly for me, as I will try to get that stuff working and for
> the people who want to help, not for the rest.

That's naive...  there is *so much* going on with the current stuff.
Trust me, there is going to be mucho breakage.  There are a lot of
scripts set up on multiple servers that pull from various directories
in CVS and that's not the last of it.

Later,
Navin.