[RFC]: Downtime of serveral KDE sites

Jason Bainbridge jaseone at myrealbox.com
Fri Oct 4 12:17:26 UTC 2002

I think this issue is starting to become a critical one as it has been about 2
weeks since downtime on these sites begun, which isn't really acceptable at
all.

I propose that firstly the source for these sites be moved into CVS (if they
aren't already, but I don't think so), but who has the source anyway?

Then the server side stuff needs to be done on the master.kde.org server
(KTown?) with the usual 3 hourly cron job to update the sites from CVS, plus
the database for apps.kde.com would also need to be setup. Then finally the
DNS for the sites would have to be updated accordingly.

I'm willing to maintain the web stuff and the PHP once the sites are in CVS if
required, but unfortunately I wouldn't be of much help with the initial
setup.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I think it is important that some
action is taken on this pretty much straight away, it could still be likely
that Andreas will soon get the sites back online but we have no way of
knowing this at the moment.

I'm not saying what I have recommended is necessarily the best thing, it could
be far from it, but I'm merely putting suggestions out there so some sort of
action can begin.

Jason Bainbridge
KDE - Conquer Your Desktop
The KDE Usability Project - http://usability.kde.org