Global KDE navigation structure

Datschge at gmx.net Datschge at gmx.net
Thu Nov 28 02:49:01 UTC 2002

Mat wrote:
> Thank you so much for saying that. I was called unrealistic in asking
> for this. As an example, a global KDE navigation structure, not only a
> simuliar layout, will greatly enhance the usability experience on all
> participating sites. And, no, I'm not asking to force this on to the
> maintainers.

I agree that we should at least write a guide about how to name the
categories and in what order to display them.

> My first and *basic* idea can be found at:
> http://www.web-xs.de/~dev/kde/nav/

This is really very basic. I think a less diffuse category naming scheme
would help much more than having just the usual generic terms again.

> My goal is to provide a navigation structure that is the same on all
> participating KDE sites. Not only does this help the average user to
> find cross KDE information faster, it also helps visually impared as we
> can offer accesskeys and much more.
> At the moment there are a lot of sites using the basic KDE.org design,
> but most of them are fundamentally different in usage. This is, in
> terms of usability, worse then giving each site their own design/layout.

I fully agree with all points you raised here.

My proposal for a global KDE category naming scheme looks like this (in this
order):

-Learn
(any information newbies and everyone else can understand and might like to
read without being pushed to get involved)

-Konquer
(any informations and resources one needs to get fully involved)

-Download
(anything anyone can download and use right away, but nothing else)

-Communicate
(KDE is a community project so all possible ways to get in contact within a
project should be listened in its own category, should include schules for
meeting etc. as well)

-Develop
(anything related to development, download of source code and CVS access
should be included here since those are no newbie tasks)

-Links
(random crosslinks to on-topic sites)

Anything I didn't cover in this scheme?

Regards, Datschge