discussion? where? well, not here...

Mat Colton mat.colton at web-xs.de
Sat Nov 23 14:33:12 UTC 2002

Navindra Umanee wrote:
> Mat Colton <mat.colton at web-xs.de> wrote:
> > As far as I can see nobody is joining in to discuss the usability/menu
> > style guide stuff I posted. Why? It's too far off? You're too lazy?
>
> Well, nobody ever seems to answer the important questions like why the
> apps aren't listed on the testing page yet.

Why should they? Appsy is commercial and has proven to be offline for weeks.
So this is the kind of information you want on the front page? It  seems to
dangerous IMHO.

> The rest of the endless usability discussion simply isn't going to go
> anywhere very fast.

Probably true. Usability takes time. But at least we can try.

> Just need a few simple guidelines, do some proper
> testing, and perhaps, as a guide, run a poll to see which design
> people are most pleased with.  The ordering of the menu items can
> always be tweaked afterwards, even after the launch.

What would you call a tweek? One of the things I've learned is that it's very
important to be sure which labels and structure to use in the navigation. If
you alter them afterwards ppl will be irritated. That's why I keep on jumping
around and wave "Menu Design" on my flag. :P

> On the other hand, I don't mind keeping the old site.

If it doesn't get better, I feel the same way. The site might not be all to
flashy, but it has been working for years.
--
Bye,
Mat