Download.kde.org

Jason Bainbridge jaseone at myrealbox.com
Sun Nov 10 08:41:05 UTC 2002

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:49, Andreas Pour wrote:

> I have a prototype of a new frontend for download.kde.org at
> http://download.kde.com/ .  On the final one I suspect the content will be
> surrounded by the usual KDE.org theme.

Good idea.

> Please test and provide feedback, it should be up by Monday for the 3.0.5
> release.  (Hint:  after you have made a server selection, try going there
> again).

Very nice way to handle it, nice and transparent. :-) It seems to work quite
well, although on an unrelated note the South American mirror doesn't seem to
mirror KDE any longer.

>  (1) on release days, check that a mirror is synced before redirecting
> there

That would be nifty, so they would just get re-directed elsewhere or be
prompted to choose another mirror with an appropiate message?

>(2) make a finer-grained image map

As long as it is still quick and easy to find your region that would be good.

>  (3) if there is no server in the selected region, suggest nearby ones

Sounds good...

Just a few little comments/suggestions:

- - To this line "In the future, you should be redirected directly to the
selected server, unless you use the link" add "below to choose a different
mirror:"

- - make the link below that a href so it can be easily bookmarked and stands
out as a link.

- - Can the currently selected mirror be displayed when you return to
http://download.kde.com/ ?

- - Also might be a good idea to put in a brief explantion somewhere as to what
a primary mirror is opposed to a secondary one.

- - I assume you will use the existing kde.org template so you get the DTD tag
for XHTML transitional? If not that needs to be added and you also have a
missing double quote in one of the tags: <br clear=all" />, after adding the
DTD and fixing that tag the page should validate.

Other than that great work and well done. :-)

Cheers!

- --
Jason Bainbridge
KDE - Conquer Your Desktop - http://kde.org