www.kde.org/testing update

Jason Bainbridge jaseone at myrealbox.com
Mon Nov 4 12:05:52 UTC 2002

Firstly I must say I like the look of the new styles. :)

Now onto the business end of things...

A while back I sent an email to all of the major KDE mailing lists I knew of
asking for people's feedback and ideas for requirements for the re-design of
the kde.org. The email wasn't well received and didn't receive many replies,
which is probably due to the wording of my email so what I propose is the
following:

1. I work further on documenting the requirements we already have and add them
to what is already at: http://usability.kde.org/newdesign/webredesign/
finishing what I can tonight.... While sleepy {$me .= "coffee"); :-)

2. I send another email to the major mailing lists giving people a week to
respond and make it very clear we want people's input and it is in their
interest to pitch in, plus openly advertise the work so far at
http://usability.kde.org/newdesign/webredesign/

3. We set ourselves a deadline a week after the requirements have been
gathered to pull the requirements together into a semi formal document. I can
do a lot of this and welcome assistance in this regard as well.

4. We put out a RFC on the requirements giving another week for this to
happen.

5. We can then hopefully with Sebastian's assistance draft the final designs
as he is obviously the best designer amongst us and then with the assistance
of a select few say the people most interested during the requirements stage
we fine tune the design before rolling it out.

I know people are going to moan and groan about all those 1 week delays, but
if we do this right we can achieve our goal of getting a consistent look and
feel across all *.kde.org sites as the final design will make maintainers
want to use it as they helped shape it in the first place. If we just design
it and then approach them afterwards I don't think it would go down very well
with a lot of them.

If the plan above is followed then we would have the new design ready to go
live in about a month, which would also place it very close to release of 3.1
at end of November but at the end of the day I don't think we should rush
anything just to meet that date, but it would be nice. :) Maybe we can
streamline the re-design of the main kde.org site so it goes live with 3.1
and then content sites can follow shortly after...

On a side note I see the different styles being a good idea as that will give
the maintainers a choice as to which style they use and also add a bit of
character to the different *.kde.org subdomains.

Anyway what do people think of the above plan?

Jason Bainbridge
KDE - Conquer Your Desktop - http://kde.org
KDE Web Team - webmaster at kde.org
KDE Usability Project - http://usability.kde.org